Plastic Free All Natural Deodorant - Ethique Deodorant Bar
Ethique deodorant bar is the first zero-waste deodorant bar that we have found to work against underarm odors. This simple but luxurious deodorant bar is plastic-free and made with natural ingredients & palm oil-free; it's also vegan, fair trade certified, cruelty-free and plastic-free!
The reviews for this deodorant bar are incredible and we here at 4 The Greater Good are huge fans!
Why We Chose This Product: After years of trying a wide variety of natural deodorants, we have finally found a product that works. Not all zero-waste deodorants are created equal. This incredible deodorant checks off all of the boxes & it works better than any other deodorant we have tried.
Why We Love This Product: Finding a deodorant bar that does not include harmful chemicals and no plastic packaging is a huge win for all of us; combine that with a company that requires sustainable harvesting for ingredients, no palm oil, fair trade, and vegan and we were in love!
Directions: Apply ethique deodorant bar to underarms after showing, as well as before and after exercise (if needed.) A little bit goes a long way. This bar is not an antiperspirant, you will still sweat but you won't smell.
Pro Tip: Keep this bar in an airtight container to keep the bar fresh!
Product Includes: One solid deodorant bar 70g (2.47oz)
Ingredients in Ethique Deodorant Bars:
-Caprylic/capric triglyceride (CCT) is derived from coconut. It is a lightweight emollient ideal for hair. We use it to replace silicone in some of our products. CCT is derived from coconut and is a totally natural ingredient. It's 100% biodegradable, palm free and perfectly safe for use.
-Tapioca Starch is a fine, absorbent powder made from the cassava root. An excellent alternative to talc in traditional powder products. It makes products feel drier, silkier, and helps mop up sweat and oil.
- Brassica alcohol is a certified palm-free alternative to fatty alcohols (which are almost exclusively derived from palm oil (ours are not though!) Fatty alcohols are moisturizers, barrier builders, and they help our bars stay firm, provide hydration, and prevent transepidermal water loss (TEWL) which causes dry skin. Not to be confused with alcohol (ethanol) which are drying. The two are not similar.
- Magnesium hydroxide is a naturally occurring mineral, called brucite. Magnesium hydroxide is the magic ingredient in these deodorants as it alters the pH of your skin. The bacteria which munch on our skin excretions like sebum and sweat and create the BO smell through their waste products can not survive in that environment and as a result, you don't smell- even if you sweat. It won't irritate your skin like baking soda will either!
- Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (sweet almond) oil unsurprisingly, derived from almonds. It is rich in linoleic and oleic fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins which are essential for skin health. Almond oil also helps to balance moisture loss. Sweet almond oil can usually be tolerated by those with nut allergies, but we do recommend checking with your doctor first.
- Euphorbia antisyphillitica (candelilla) wax is derived from the Candelilla tree.
- Silica is most commonly found as quartz in the earth's crust and is extremely abundant. Used to make products feel 'slippery' and to absorb fluids, it helps you feel dry. Because it is an element, it's not biodegradable in the usual sense as it cannot break down any further, but it disperses back into the environment with no ill effects at all - not to be confused with a cosmetic silicone.
- Bambusa arundinacea extract is a bamboo extract derived from bamboo stalks. A super absorbent powder, which can absorb up to 200x it's weight in water, or sweat. It is used in this deodorant to help you feel dryer.
- Jojoba esters are derived from Jojoba oil. Used as a structurant and moisturizer.
- Zinc Oxide is a white powdered mineral that is found in our environment, but not in huge quantities. All zinc oxide in cosmetics is synthesized in a lab, faithfully mimicking the structure and properties of the naturally occurring stuff. Testing has proven its ability to soothe inflamed skin and act as a broad-spectrum sunblock, as well as having antibacterial properties and providing a barrier for the skin.
- Tapioca starch polymethylsilsesquioxane is tapioca starch treated with silicone. Biodegradable, and naturally derived with no health or environmental concerns.
- Fragrance (certified natural) -Ethique does not use synthetic fragrance as a lot of the ingredients in them are of dubious source and safety.
But essential oils are not without safety risks themselves (some are very poisonous, some are phototoxic (cause sunburn) and some are very strong resulting in irritation, so they have limitations and must be used with care. Also, they are limited and lots of scents simply cannot be made with them. So for some scents, we use certified natural fragrances. These are made in a lab, but they are made with 100% certified natural and safe ingredients and they are certified natural themselves.
- Lavandula augustifolia (lavender) essential oil is derived from Lavender flowers.