I did it! Today I went to Whole Foods and purchased items from the bulk section and this time, I decided to bring my very own containers. I had been meaning to start this for months (in my continued efforts to be kinder to the Earth) but the last time I purchased in bulk the staff didn't even know how to use the machines and well... I was overwhelmed.
My first time trying this (months ago) the person who helped me did not understand tare weight and was not aware that the scale by the bulk area did not offer a custom tare weight (it was pre-programmed to remove the plastic containers provided by Whole Foods.) Understandably, bringing your own containers is still a relatively unknown movement.
Fast forward to my latest endeavor and well...this time, I was determined.
How To Buy in Bulk with Your Own Containers, Whole Foods
1) Start by taking your containers and bags to the customer service counter for them to mark the tare weight (this is simply the weight of your container so you are not paying for the total weight of your items and container at checkout!) When I did this, the person helping me grabbed some masking tape, but I requested that he actually write the weight on the bottom of the glass itself. He obliged but looked at me like I was a bit crazy... lol. The more of us who do this, the fewer crazy looks we will receive (not that I mind of course.)
2) Next, take a photo of the tare weights on the containers with your cell phone. If the numbers happen to wipe off while you are shopping, it could be a big headache to remove your homemade peanut butter to calculate the tare weight...
Bonus, our reusable produce bags are perfect for shopping in this section and they actually have the tare weight printed right on the bag! This step makes it super easy.
3) Fill your containers with your bulk items.
4) Write the PLU# on the container with a washable crayon (we love these)
5) No need to use the scale in the back of the bulk section as it currently doesn't have the ability to remove the tare weight. Simply write the PLU# and take it up to the cashier. Show them the tare weights on the bottom of the container, and let them know the PLU# are written on the jar and BAM!
6) Sit back and know that you are an awesome eco-warrior and others will all soon be noticing your efforts and begin to follow your lead. Congratulations on being a leader!
The short answer to a successful bulk purchase at Whole Foods is:
1) Go to customer service to weigh your bags for the tare weight.
2)Take a photo with your phone in case it wipes off.
3) Fill your items in the bulk section.
4) Write the PLU# on your containers with a washable crayon.
5) DO NOT USE THE SCALE in the bulk section, it does not calculate correctly and you will end up printing labels unnecessarily.
6) Take your items to the cashier and show them the tare weights on the bottom of the containers and the PLU#.
7) Congratulate yourself on being an eco-warrior.